Thursday, April 18, 2013

Dum Dum pops and belly flops

It has been an interesting day at the ranch today. We did something today that we have never done in our married lives...we paid someone to clean out our front flower beds, mulch them and mow. I cannot tell you how hard it was for me to make this request. As I told the hub, I just wanted to to get a good foundation set and then I could maintain it the rest of the Spring and Summer. The lawn had gotten so thick from all the rain and fertilizer, I had great fears that the mower would not make it two feet without clogging up. It was not quite jungle-esque, but it was too high and thick for my liking. So when I opened up the garage door to find one bed already trimmed out and clean, two super duper mowers, a weedeater going strong and another guy working on the front bed, I felt guilt and relief. I was raised in a family that felt the state of your yard reflected the state of your home and the pride you took in it. That isn't entirely off the mark. I had to take S to the doctor today to make sure there wasn't strep or a like illness that was causing her to be feverish. As usual, one of my children has fallen prey to yet another fever virus of unknown origin. For the love of Pete, as many as they've had, they might as well call it the Cookkid2013 virus and be done with it. So we bopped out of there, got the customary Dum Dum, butterscotch this time, and made our jolly way home. When we returned home, my breath was taken away at the lovely job done on the yard. The rest of the afternoon consisted of picking up children, picking up a flippin' ream of homework form the middle school and picking up happy hour slushes to try and cool the fevered girl down enough to work on her homework. After dinner was consumed and baths were taken, the kids settled down for a rare during the week treat: watching a TV show. It was a painful hour of "Splash", watching celebrities belly flopping in high def. Uhhh, ouch. G, our tender hearted one, shed several tears when Louie Anderson received the lowest score and had to leave the show. I was really pulling for Miss Alabama to get the boot, but I'm sure Brent Musberger is happy she lives to see another diving day.

I am now awaiting my new favorite show, "Hannibal", to start. We covet your prayers for our girl's fever to break into a million pieces and be gone by morning. It is enough. Who would have ever thought that I would miss the fighting?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment