Sunday, April 28, 2013

Clarifying my lack of clarity

It has been a cold and rainy day here in Knoxvegas. No denying it here, when I heard that rain pitter pattering on the roof. I wanted to turn the alarm off, turn over and go back to sleep. But, alas, I work on Sundays and the boy was going to be getttin' his gospel singing on. Couldn't miss that. It was Faith Promise Sunday for missions at our church today. For those who are unfamiliar with this term, it basically means a promise you make to yourself and the church to give a certain amount of money to missions, above and beyond your regular church budget commitments. It is the hope that with strong faith, God will provide the money needed for you to give over and above your current commitments. We had two excellent speakers to really light the building on fire today, both are ministers I've had the pleasure to hear before. Rev. Harry Howe, who spoke in our Contemporary service, has been a friend of our family for years. His brother, Danny, has been an adopted uncle to us since middle school. It was a pleasure to hear him speak and inspire me to "drink from the cup" in a way I hadn't before. The Gospel of Mark really got in my head today...in a good way.

I had dreaded going to church today. Leaving S was not in my comfort zone. Not because I doubted her care. Not at all. You just can't turn off the mom in you. But, again, had to see that boy sing and let G be a big girl helper to my boss. I must say I was so very blessed and overwhelmed by the amount of questions and concerns about S's condition and the offers of help, meals, distraction. In the spirit of Wayne and Garth, "I'm not worthy!". I was very humbled, not just today, but since this whole craziness started. Because of all the questions, I feel I need to clarify one statement I made. I did not mean to overstate or exaggerate the severity of her current state. S's doctor used the term "24 hour care". When he first said it to us, I was a bit shocked. I was thinking about the logistics, the sleeping arrangements...longing for the days of the Snugli and Bjorn. While the doc said that term, it was not as it might seem. She can kind of be characterized as Bambi on the ice. When one lays in a bed with little activity other that going to the bathroom, atrophy quickly ravages what takes so long to build. The girl is like her mother and lacks much grace to begin with, so add weakness, fever and atrophied muscles...you get the picture. She has to have help walking very far, dressing, bathing. Humiliating for a 6th grader. I can't go to drop the youngers off at school and leave her for a few minutes. She just can't be left to her own devices. In her wobbly state, if she were to fall and hit her abdomen at all- back in the E..E..E..R. It is an interesting logistical puzzle, but we'll figure it out.

Thank you all for what you have done. For the secret presents left for G and the boy. They were thrilled. It is true that the healthy ones often suffer the most during these situations, so those treats were Heaven sent. Extra prayers for G. This has really rocked her world and scared her in a profound way. She is getting up multiple times during the night to check her sister's temp and make sure she's breathing. She helps take her to the bathroom and carries her food tray to her. It is a precious sight to see. She is a rose among thorns for sure.

Thanks again and have a lovely week. Time to snooze away to Jase, Si, Willie and the boys!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment