Monday, April 1, 2013

A life well lived....

This is a day I have been dreading for a long time. The sweet light of our community has significantly dimmed. Our beloved Mr. Barry from our neighborhood store, Barry Hughes, passed away yesterday...Easter morning. For the past few months I have dreaded, along with many others, walking into our beloved Kroger and finding out of his passing. He never complained about the hand he was dealt. From cerebral palsy to neck surgeries to a brain tumor, his kindness never wavered...not a complaint out of his mouth. While he was uncomplicated, sweet and quiet, he had a laugh that thrilled us all and could be heard throughout the store. Every child had a nickname, everyone's health and welfare was of genuine concern to him. He hurt when we hurt. He rejoiced in our joy. He was a member of all of our families...and we were grateful and honored to have him.

Good news travels fast, bad news travels faster. When my friend called to tell me, I was really hoping that I was going to get an April Fools call. What I wouldn't give for that to have been the case. Once she called me, I called a friend and an aunt and a cousin and my mother. Then I knew I had to tell the children. Boy howdy, I did not want to do that. They have not known life without him. They have felt the weight and emptiness of his absence. They all sat next to each other as I explained the facts as I knew them. Walt Disney himself couldn't have drawn more heartbreaking doe eyes, wide and full of tears. The first thing out of the boy's mouth was, "I'm so glad he doesn't hurt anymore." Through their sadness, they were handling it much better than I was. It has been a rather busy day full of nursing the sick and infirm in our house, so being busy helped take my mind off of things. At three separate times during the day, the children came up to talk to me about Barry. You could see the little wheels turning in their heads, trying to work it all out. All three times, separate from each other, they said the same statement that made me think "out of the mouths of babes." Let me say first that I know not everyone has my Christian beliefs. I have some friends who are staunchly atheistic. I have some who are searching. I have some who are Jewish...spiritual...unsure...scared. It takes all kinds to make this world and I have no right to find myself better than anyone else. With all that disclaimer stuff being said, my heart broke a little bit when this was said to me. I think the boy said it best. "I think it's kind of okay that Mr. Barry died on Easter. It gave Jesus time to come back so he could show him right where he needed to go and make sure he was okay." Well, I don't think it could be said any better. Godspeed, Barry. Our hearts are broken but we rejoice that your pain is gone and you are cancer free. We are better for knowing you.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment