Friday, April 26, 2013

All our heartbeats are home...thank God!

I've done a lot of crying today. I've cried for myself...I needed a little pity party. I cried for Baby Drew and the heavy burden of decision his precious parents now carry. I've cried for the nurses, doctors and staff at the hospital. These people have made an absolutely terrifying experience as tolerable as possible. And last, but certainly no least, I've cried for my family. They have been happy tears and sick tears and angry tears and worried tears. I'm sure there are fifty seven other emotions that could fit in there, but I am just too tired to think. Dr. Angel, our surgeon, came in first, checked S out and said as far as he was concerned, she could go home. So we sat and waited...and waited. S took two walks, four hours apart, and was worn out enough she wiped out. Our senior pastor came to visit and got to see this pale little waif conked out in the bed. Then our GI doc, Dr. Al-Tawil, came in to talk. I'm kind of glad our minister was there to be the extra set of ears. To say that I was overwhelmed with information was a complete understatement. He was about 50/50 on whether to let her come home. She ran a fever last night. The smell of most foods makes her queasy. She was on an IV for six days. He had to think about it, but he knew, as we all do, that there's no place like home. Clean sheets, clean pj's and a good shower work wonders to get a person on the right track. He decided to send us home, but there was a scary list that went along with that excitement. She has to have so much input and output a day. The amount of liquid and Pediasure she has to consume in a day almost weighs more than she does. Oh, and in that vein, she has lost 3-3.5 pounds. From where, I do not know. She will miss 1-2 weeks of additional school, with a 6 week suspensions of basically any activity except walking around the house. Everything put in her mouth has to be considered for the effect that it might have on her liver. No more Tylenol. He basically said it may take 6 months to recover completely. Good grief. He did express sincere affection for our child, saying he appreciated how mannerly she was and how inquisitive she was about her body and what was going wrong with it. Apparently her case had made quite the impression throughout Children's hospital, puzzling them all while introducing them to a pretty cool kid Yes, we were a little proud.

So we prepared to go home. The nurses and staff came in and talked to S, telling her that she would be missed. I made many trips to the bathroom to tear up in sadness and gratitude. Go ahead...roll your eyes. I said an extra little prayer for our neighbor in the next room over. His cough was disturbing it was so awful. He got his chest tube removed today...the one that saved his life from a potentially deadly pneumonia. Bless him. We drove home, my stomach queasy with excitement and fear. It felt just like taking a newborn home. You want to break out of the hospital, but have the luxury of the nurse down the hall. We are essentially bringing a baby home. We were greeted by the best sight ever: G and the boy. I missed their little faces, the smell of their hair and skin, the sound of their laughter. Their hugs were like a tall glass of water in the Sahara and I loved every drop! They have been troopers themselves, helping out around the house and not complaining about the attention sister gets. They held their sister's arms and helped her into the house. It was precious to see.

All are in bed and sawing logs except for me. I'll be there shortly. Again I plead for your prayers and positive thoughts and love for Baby Drew. He had a bad episode tonight. He and his family need your prayers. I believe in miracles. And I pray a miracle happens in his life.

Thanks for all the love and support the past several days of this horrible roller coaster. I could not have made it through without you all!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad she got to go home! I hope you can get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless her sweet heart! Hoping & praying that being home in her own bed will work wonders for her health!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy the Cook family is together.
    Praying for health and peace.

    ReplyDelete