Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Should I read my age like I should act my age?

I love books. I love to read. I especially love Children's books. When I say Children's books, I mean two types in particular. I love a good picture book. Rich drawings, bright colors and strange creatures that accompany neat little stories. The other type I love is the literature that is classified as being for "Ages 9 and up". This includes the Harry Potter series, The Benedict Society books and my newest favorite author, Brian SelznIck. He is a Caldecott winner and brilliant man. The book I am currently watching and reading is this:

It is one of the most beautifully presented books I have ever seen. Sarah finished it, found out thatis was going to be a movie and said,"I would pay my own money to see that movie. That book was amazing!". It is about half and half text to gorgeous pencil drawings. My brother gave S another book of Selznick's, "Wonderstruck". She is reading it now. Again, gorgeous pictures that need to be studied and appreciated to understand the story. Lovely.

This begs the question, do you have to read your age? Obviously most people don't think so as evidenced by the Harry Potter behemoth. Books have always been a part of my life. In college, I had several books going at once. I had a "before class book", a "before bed book" and a "Brian book" in his room so I could read while he was studying or playing volleyball. They were either Stephen King, John Grisham or James Patterson....with occasional books that I had to read for my English minor...oops. I have found that after I had children, I didn't have as much of a stomach for serial killer crime novels as I once did. For some reason, I gravitated to this "Ages 9 and up" category. Who knew?

On a completely different note, Brian and I had the opportunity for a mini date night tonight. My aunt and uncle watched the kids while we went to Oak Ridge to see him graduate from the Leadership Oak Ridge program. It has been ten months of hard work, unpaid hard work, in addition to his regular job. It is a positive check on both his resume' and the reputation of his work. I am blessed to have such a hard working husband and so proud of his accomplishment.

Tomorrow I will hopefully have funny news. I will try very hard to find some!

1 comment:

  1. I also am a fan of the 9 & up literature. I think it's good to read what the kids are reading. However, Alex just finished a 770 page book in a weekend. I just can't keep up with that! :) BTW, thanks for the Hugo Cabret recommendation. The boys & I loved it & can't wait to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete