Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Waaaaakey wakey!!!!

You know, when you get a 2am wake up call from a sick child burning up with fever, it should be an indicator as to how the rest of your day will go. When G crept into our room and I awoke to see a figure standing in front of our bed, I yelled out loud enough that the hub even woke up. She was feeling dizzy and out of sorts, so we had her sit in the bathroom and await further instructions. I rifled through the cabinets in a groggy state trying to find a thermometer. Even being a foot away, I could feel the heat radiating off of her 9 year old body. The thermometer beeped a red face: 103.5. Trying to act calm, we ibuprofened her, wiped her down with a cool wash cloth, put a fever strip on her forehead and put her on the sick mattress in our room. Let's fast forward to 10am this morning, okay? The hub had mercifully taken S and the boy to school and I was kind of sitting vigil by G's sick bed as she moaned and tossed and turned and sizzled. She finally settled, watching The Incredibles, so I could get some breakfast and exercise the dog a bit. I checked the outside gate. Shut. I let her out and went to toast a bagel and fix a cup of coffee. I ate and watched Flipping Out on Bravo and tried to wake up. Thinking G would like to snuggle with her pup, I called the usual high pitched "COOOPPPEERRRCOPPERCOPPERCOPPERCOPPER!!". Nothing. I did it again. Nada. Down at the fence deep in the backyard, I saw our newish neighbor. I had met her once and knew she worked for a local animal shelter and was a dog kind of gal. Good thing. I noticed, as a walked to meet her, that she was in some brightly colored odd clothing. As I got closer, she said, "Hey! Um, your puppy just crawled and climbed and jumped the fence." I was horrified for many reasons and sighing with relief that she was in a friendly yard. I was also a bit concerned because our neighbor was in her pajamas. The next five minutes of conversation left me wanting to dig a hole in the ground and live there. Apparently my super smart dog hopped over the fence to play with her doggie friends, smelled the path they take in their yard and found the dog door to go into their house. Shall I continue or can you see where the story is heading. She went through the looking glass, AKA the dog door, and got the wife out of bed. Yes. You read that correctly. Needless to say, I carried the dog back to the house and quickly deposited her into her crate for her personal safety. I think I'll rename her "Paul Revere"...going house to house waking everyone up. People wonder why I'm crazy. There's your answer.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment