Friday, February 14, 2014

A Valentine Love Letter

Valentine's Day has always been a big deal in our family. Sure, it was nice to get sweet notes and conversation hearts and heart shaped toast with red jelly on that day, but that is not the reason it was so special. As those of you who have read for a while know, February 14 is my brother and grandmother's birthday. It is was a big celebration with the two of them sitting together, year after year, with their individual birthday cakes blowing out the candles together. Granny's was usually a Butterscotch dessert and Mike's was a cheesecake. Mike would have a celebration with his friends at a different time, but he and Granny shared their day every year. Now that she has met her great reward, the 14th is different. It is still a day of celebration, but with an empty place...and I see it in my brother. I'm sure that it wouldn't be the coolest thing for lots of guys to party with their grandmother in their teens, but he always celebrated every second he was with her. I know he feels the loss more than any of us do.

So tonight, as the "Made up holiday"(as I saw over and over today on Twitter)draws to a close, I say an extra prayer of thanks for this day and the unmade up celebration of two of the most important people in my life...and I'll never stop celebrating.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment