Thursday, February 20, 2014

Boys...I tell ya...

We had a guest for dinner tonight. She had eaten with us before and is really family, but still I have this standard I set for my children in terms of manners. Here it is: Use manners. That's all I ask. It is not like we had a cram session an hour before she arrived. As soon as we sat down to eat our funky chicken sandwiches on Hawaiian sub rolls, my son's giggle box activated...and it did not turn off until he put head to pillow at bedtime. I could have threatened groundings galore and taking of toys and electronics and privileges, but he could not stop. He had bought a one way ticket to Crazytown. The other eniga I have yet to solve is how the boy can somehow fit the word "poop" into every meal she has eaten with us. Seriously? Luckily it is taken all in stride. I just don't understand it. We were having a somewhat riveting conversation about Disney movies in terms of their level of hilarity, The Emporer's New Groove being one we had not seen that was high on the scale, and he managed to slip that word in conversation. I know he's a boy. I had a brother, I know how these people work. But why that word? Why not generously pepper every dinner conversation involving your parents and guests with words like, um, "jaunty" and "death defying" and "scapula"(just to sound scientifically knowlegeable). You know, the $5 words.

Well, I hate to be one of those people, but "It Happened One Night" is on TCM and it is a favorite. My oldest friend in the world introduced it to me when we were roomates. I'm grateful. After today, I need a good dose of Gable and Colbert. I'm nerdy like that. Night all.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment