Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Two birthday lunch

As I sit here, my jaw is popping and my ear feels like I have the worst earache ever. This TMJ business, or whatever it is, it's excruciating. Anyhoo, life goes on. Today was an exciting day in the life of work. It was staff luncheon day. Since we had a busy summer what with getting a new pastor and another one moving on to another appointment, we didn't have our June or July staff luncheons. I know, earth shattering stuff, but people do enjoy their free birthday lunch. So we went today to celebrate June, July and August birthdays. At the restaurant, our first clue that things might be amiss was that we had one older, somewhat scatterbrained and frail, waitress for 15+ people. Before you start making images of me to burn in effigy, let me get something straight: I have the utmost respect for wait staff. I think they have a rough job that wears on their body, doesn't pay much money and is full of jerks. I know it is said that in the South before you say something negative you say, "Bless their heart". Bless her heart, but she was in over her head. Between not getting our food, constanly telling us not to confuse her and keeping us there for two and a half hours, we were all done. Not even Thnksgiving dinner takes that long. Luckily our new pastor took one for the team, or at least for me, and played with my kids the whole time. Sugar packet football is the new best game ever. I sure hope our waitress can soak her feet tonight. She was strung awfully tight.

I ask for prayers on the eve of middle school team assignments. We were supposed to find out today, but that got postponed. I just pray that S gets the team she needs and all these kids get the right teachers for their situations. It is hard, as a parent, to let your child go and grow up. The youngers will find out Thursday. I'm just nervous...as always.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment