Sunday, August 4, 2013

Not a 24 pack to be found...

Can I get a Crayola? A Crayola, anyone? We decided, once again, to brave tax-free weekend and buy the school supplies needed for apparently, by the look of our cart, 75 children. We went to the school supply spot at Target and quickly realized that our powers of self control would truly be put to the test when we saw a fire marshall's nightmare: 75 people in the space of a modest master bedroom. We saw a large contingency from church and all made a vow not to judge each other for the angry faces and voices we might use fighting over the last pack of "Classic Color Markers" or for the venemous words used when deciding if "Jumbo glue sticks" on the supply list is the same as "Giant" on the Elmer's package. I had one woman give me a dirty look when I read the item "3 packages of sugar free gum" off one of the lists. Lady: "What kind of school requires you to bring gum?". Me: "Um, I think they use it as a reward instead of sugary gum or candy." Her: "Well honey, my incentive for being good was not to get a beating." Me: "Um, yes ma'am. But if they do that in school today, they'll get arrested. I'm just going to get the gum." Tax-free day is not the time to get in a conversation about the demise of schoolchildren and their behaviors as determined by gum. Just find me some Extra Bubblemint and the ellusive 24 pack of crayons so I can get the heck out of this death trap. We fled school supplies, picked up wet wipes and ziploc bags(extras to make teachers happy), headed to be checked out by our friend Houston(really our friend) and headed to Office Depot. Target was fresh out of the yellow and purple folders required on two lists and we had to find those blasted crayons. I would have settled for store brand or eve, gasp, Rose Art brand. I just wanted the &^%$ crayons. When we got to the OD, we found their shelves to be stripped of crayons as well. Okay, friends. That tears it. When they go on sale, I'm stockpiling up on those things. This shortage will not stand. Oh WAIT! A very helpful employee showed us to a Crayola display, placed in not so plain sight in the stationary department by the not so subtle, life sized display of One Direction. What was I thinking? Of course they were there and just enough, thank The Lord Almighty!

Next comes the fun task of labeling it all. I will take pictures of the before and after...complete with me in my new straight jacket.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment