Saturday, April 25, 2015

I need a sedative

It was another full day of soccer in our houseold. G had three games, one win and two losses. It is hard as a keeper to not take every loss as your fault. The ball got by you, but I am glad she kept perspective for most of the day today. It ended on a sour note, but nothing a little visit with loved ones can't fix. Three games in a day is a lot to ask of anyone, so I am proud of them regardless of what their coach decided to say. The boy played a game as well, peppered in between two of his sister's games. It was in an indoor facility that I hate, but they were protected from potential weather. The boy did an okay job defending...nothing great. He got moved to forward and did better. There are a lot of strong personalities on his team, so it takes a little while to find his way sometimes. Second half started and here comes my baby, in the keeper jersey. I just about threw up on the turf. While he has no real regard for the safety of his body, he is not schooled on all the rules of being a keeper. We were kind of yelling certain things to him, praying that he would be okay and not make a major flub. He saved one goal and landed on the ball, only to be kicked in the neck long after the fact by a raggedy jerk on the other team. The ref made the offending kid come over and pat my son on the back. Okay. My son was gracious as always. Later, the same kid took a dive and started writhing in pain in a performance worthy of an academy award. The "offense" happened in the box, so a PK was given to the other team. We all kind of swallowed hard and braced for the worst. Coaches were yelling advice, the boy looked pale and scared to death. "SETTLE FINLEY!!" we yelled in hopes he would just concentrate on his fate and do his best. The shot was taken and my boy punched it away. DENIED!!! It was so exciting and then I wanted to lay down. Everybody was so proud and they came so close to winning. The final score was 5-4. It was a proud moment for all of us.

Now I need to pass out. Night all.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment