Sunday, August 23, 2015

Put my editor's hat on today

The first essay of the high school career was assigned to the girl this week. While she loves to read like a book monster, she is not a fan of writing structured essays with a lot of rules. I don't blame her. I never did either. I was trained to write essays in the shape method...well that is what I call it:



Start with a general statement or two and then state your thesis. Give three supporting ideas for that thesis. Then restate said thesis and end with a general all encompassing last sentence. My English major/currently a managing editor friend and former roommate hated this learning device, but it served as a very helpful guide for me. My brother, a wonderful and very gifted writer and published guy, suggested the same model to our oldest as well. After she got all her writing done, I sat down to help her edit. It felt strange as my father did the same thing for me. Maybe I should include a Lion King clip at this point and start singing "The Circle of Life". I won't, but it has been running through my mind today. I feel for her. That first essay you turn in is always the most intimidating. Heck, her teacher may red pen that thing like a massacre took place, but at least she did her own work...with .000001% of editing help from her mother. I'm proud of her and she has learned a valuable lesson. Start early and don't rely on teachers to do what they say they are going to do, like help you with your paper in class. They may get sick and miss a good chunk of the week. Lesson learned.

Helllllooooo, bedtime!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment