Monday, March 9, 2015

Shameless attempt

Okay, friends, it's come to this. I am so anxious(as are the children) to have a blog "Mailbag Monday" or "Fanmail Friday" or "Message March" that I have taken drastic measures. I purchased 20 pre-stamped postcards, addressed them and have started to hand them out to various and sundry people with whom I am acquainted. Cheating? Yes. I totally own it. This whole process of having a PO Box has been quite the teaching opportunity for the children(and for me). I can remember being in college with a little box that corresponded with our dorm room. How exciting it was to go to the mail room and find something in our box. Heck, the ads getting you to buy 100 CD's for a penny were thrilling. AND, gasp, if there was a yellow slip in your box, you got to go to another location and get a highly coveted package. One time I got a package that had a huge jar of peanut butter, some homemade cookies and a fresh big box of Crayola crayons. I was the room to visit that week mostly, suprisingly enough, for the crayons. The peanut butter and cookies didn't last long either. Thankfully I wasn't like the next door neighbor. She got a huge amount of microwave popcorn from her aunt, decided she had a hankering for some about 3am, left it unattended for too long, caught the kitchen microwave on fire and caused a 3:03am firedrill...in February...in Virginia. She got rid of that popcorn pretty quickly after that. I think she carried the name "Orville" for the rest of our college career. The kids have now started taking turns going to check the box, each returning with a sad face. "There's not even junk mail in it!" one said with frustration. For a while now, we have struggled with getting our thank you notes written in a reasonable amount of time. The funny thing is that they get crazy excited to get a handwritten note in the mail, but fail to think that someone else might feel the same excitement when visiting their mailbox. So with every empty handed visit to the PO Box comes the lesson of "See how it feels when you are expecting something and nothing comes?". Heads drop a bit and I hear a pitiful, "Yes, ma'am." "Maybe we can be better about thank you's and 'Thinking of you' notes, okay?". So today I gave a couple out to a friend who was actually really excited at the possibilities of what he could put on the notes. He was more concerned about doing something for the kids...he thumbed his nose at anything for me. I imagine that I might receive something evil from him, but that is fine. I'll share it with all three of you...if the whole thing doesn't have to be censored. I joke. He wouldn't do anything too evil...I don't think. So I will now be like the weirdo prestamped postcard fairy, sprinkling merchandise from the United States Post Office to people here and there to try and drum up a weekly blog post to add interest. We'll see if it works. I sure hope so. There are few things I find that make my day more than snail mail.

I'm going to go a try a sneak a little tidbit of G's choir practice. I want to figure out what language they are singing. it sure is beautiful!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment