Monday, April 28, 2014

And the thunder rolls....

As I sit in bed waiting for The Blacklist to come on, I am watching the crawl at the bottom of the screen showing a rough weather night ahead of us. The hub and I are currently taking bets to see what time we will have a little bed visitor come and and how loud of a thunder crack will it be to jolt her from her slumber. It's gonna happen. And of course on TCAP week. Why not. She may get a better night's sleep with us than in her own room with her hacking sister. Funny story. Today was not S's day. When I sent her off to school, she asked to have some cough syrup but knew it was almost gone. I knew there wasn't a full dose left so, in order to not dirty up another medicine cup, I just told her to drink it from the bottle. Yes. I am that mom. She didn't want to do it. She kept saying, "Something about this feels so wrong." I told her it was indeed something not to get in the habit of, but for today it was okay. She got to school early and sat a table, soon to be joined by a strange girl who spent the next ten minutes making fun of how she was dressed, what shoes she wore and how she fixed her hair. Then she said S was a slut dressed like she was: jeans, a t shirt, a sweatshirt, brown boots and hair in a braid. That certainly screams the "s" word to me. Great way to start things off. I told her the girl probably used the word because it was the most insulting one she knew. Then comes the funny awful part of her day. Because she hacks all the time, the hub wrote a note stating they may need to put her somewhere else to take her TCAPs so she wouldn't disrupt the other kids in the class. Trying to be considerate of the others. They agreed it might be a good idea, so where did she go? In school suspension with a kid who refused to surrender his phone for testing and another kid who had been expelled. Things got interesting in there for her...but testing day one is over. When she got in the car, she had a long face. "I had the worst day. Got made fun of, got called a nasty name, had to sit in ISS." Me: "I am so sorry, honey. That sounds awful!". S: "If I just hadn't started out the day drinking cough syrup out of the bottle...things could've been different." I started something awful. Word to this wise: Don't ever make your child drink Robitussin CF out of the bottle during standardized testing week. You'll ruin their life. Lesson learned.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment